[clue-talk] Why can't nVidia use standard PCI IDs??

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Tue Sep 11 15:56:28 MDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to rant about how stupid I think it is for nVidia to
not use PCI device class 0200 "Ethernet Controller" for their ethernet
chips.

I've seen a couple now that were PCI device class 0604 which is a PCI
bridge.

These are ethernet controllers integrated in the nVidia nforce chipset
but I just think it's retarded that they don't use device class 0200 for
the ethernet function!  Everyone else does, at least that's what I'm used
to.

I even saw a nforce motherboard with a class 0200 where the device was
actually a VGA controller!  Why can't they use class 0300 "VGA compatible
controller" for their VGA chips, anyway?  Everyone else does!  (I think.)
Or at least they should.

And, get off my lawn!  Sheesh.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)