[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Sep 25 17:56:08 MDT 2007

By the way, I never responded to your questions, apologies David.

David L. Willson wrote:

> Obviously, you don't like your example being used as a defense for the
> value of unborn life.  Are you in the majority, within your class, or do
> you know?  There are women that are happy with their abortions, but they
> aren't in the majority, so it would be inappropriate for one of them to
> speak on behalf of the class.

I don't have to know whether I'm in the majority or minority of any
particular group to ask that the group not be used as a stereotype in a
discussion -- it's inappropriate to claim you speak for other groups.

Fair?

(Life's not fair, but we'll try to find a common agreement point on that
point...)

It's not a loss to me to concede that maybe the "majority" of infertile
couples believe as you say they do, but is that majority 90%?  51%?

And how many people does "infertile couples" represent against the whole?

It's a weak point without that information... so no big deal for me to
capitulate on it, it stands on it's own lack of merit, I guess.  I don't
need to whine about it.

:-)

>> But trust me, most infertile couples don't need/want radical groups out
>>   distracting politicians and the public with religious debates, and we
>> find it appalling that they do it "in our name"... like we're not here,
>> with our own opinions.  Feel free to stop using me to make points in
>> your arguments about YOUR religious beliefs.   :-)
>
> Oops, there's the answer to my question, most infertile couples don't
> want to be used as fodder in this argument.  I'm not sure how an
> interested party is fodder, but let's stipulate the point for now...
> Since I've stipulated your point, please listen to mine.

Okay.

> As a
> Christian, I am getting annoyed with secularists assuming that pro-life
> is/must be a religious issue, because most of the people fighting the
> battle are God-worshipers of one sort or another.  The issue itself is
> human, not religious, and I kept it in that context.

I can honestly say I've never met a pro-lifer who didn't claim they were
Christian.  I simply haven't.  I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't
personally met any.

So I'm only going from experience.  And as Mike Rosen on KOA in the
mornings says, "I knew where you sit before you told me where you
stand."  I knew you profess to be an evangelical Christian.  And I have
no problem with that.

I mistakenly took the conversation across that "line" not realizing that
you didn't want to be yourself for a moment, I guess.  (????)  Very
confusing.  To thine own self, be true...

I used to be more pro-life than I am today, and I also still profess to
be Christian -- but I've tempered some of that rhetoric with my desire
to see people being responsible for their own actions.

Sadly, that responsibility people need to take on, includes the
suffering that comes from making the decision to choose abortion.

People that do that (like others that make the same tough choices we all
make in life) are permanently changed in ways I'll never understand, and
the baby is murdered.  I never argued those points.

First off, anyone in that situation can also choose life, and give the
baby up to people who will care for him or her.

Additionally, the "stigma" of being a single mom is virtually gone from
our society (thank goodness), and it's rare to find people who wouldn't
support "mom" during a pregnancy knowing full well she was going to give
the baby up to adoption.

I'm not saying it'll be easy for any single moms, I'm just saying at
least it's not the 1950's where they threw single moms to the curb.  I
know far too many single moms and dads to EVER say that life will ever
be easy for a single parent of either gender.

Finally, a point: Far too many people on BOTH sides of the pro-life AND
pro-choice groups, make the whole debate out like the issue is black and
white, and that abortion IS the issue.  It's not.

The lack of adoption as a serious alternative where society HELPS mom
have the child, REALLY helps... is.

Instead of pro-life groups taking care of mom, giving her a warm place
to live, meals, and a bed, and paying for her needs and the baby's, they
leave her out in the manger, in the hay, with no room at the Inn.

(Yep, I went there.  It's not intended to inflame, it's intended to
cause pause and serious thought for those pro-life folks professing
certain faiths.)

I think if more pro-life people were pragmatists, instead of idealists,
there would be a lot less "need" for "guilt" and "shame" and a hell of a
lot more work to do.

If any pregnant girl could walk into the closest church and know her
medical and human needs would be taken care of until the baby was born
-- how many would choose the abortion clinic?

It's certainly got the potential to be a lot more viable and effective
than fighting all the idealistic and legal battles.

You'd think with the numbers of individuals participating in organized
religion in the U.S. -- who attend churches that profess that no child
should die by abortion -- that you'd see a lot more action to help
pregnant women faced with tough choices, by churches.  Not "education",
not "marches", not "protests", not any of that crap -- before handing
her the keys to your house, and your car, and your money out of your
wallet.

Ain't going to happen, is it?

Church members far outweigh the number of abortion doctors in the U.S.,
but can't mount an effective help organization, nationwide?

I see no lack of new church buildings going up, nor is their size
getting any smaller.

I see no shortage of funds to build mega-churches, and send millions to
overseas missions, etc... it's HUGE business.

To be fair, so you know where I sit on the topic of organized religion:

I was HEAVILY involved in churches in my youth, including spending 3
months living and working at that homeless shelter/soup
kitchen/hotel/apartment complex/yadda yadda in Chicago run by a church.

I was ready to evangelize the world, and even stood on street corners in
Chicago's bar-scene district doing that obnoxious loud preaching thing.

I had papers in-hand to enroll in the Moody Bible Institute to go learn
to be a missionary pilot.  I toured their facility in Elizabethon, TN.

I've been there.  I'm not there anymore.  I saw the corruption in the
system, from the inside.  And it stinks.

BIG money, BIG politics, BAD motivations.  Not good.

At first I felt betrayed, but as I've gotten older, I realize that it's
just humans, doing what humans do.  Nothing for me to judge or be angry
about anymore.  That's over too.

The majority of church "leaders" are just trying to maintaining their
status quo, in most cases.

Not meaning to do harm, but the road to hell is paved with good
intentions... with a church on every corner along the way, too busy
counting the money from the plate, to ask people inside.

I've supported some pastors I have met over the years, but never will I
ever give to a "church" ever again.  It's like handing money to WalMart
and letting the executives keep it and not give it to the workers.

> I didn't bring up
> religion in this context, I brought up "human rights".  You brought up
> religion, ~and~ clipped enough of my argument, that you changed it
> fundamentally.  Since we will for the moment assume that you speak for
> your class, I'll drop your class from the group of three or four
> post-birth humans that I am seeking to represent.  I'll keep the groups
> that I'm personally speaking for, and I'll reiterate the basic question.
> "Why are human rights conferred at birth?  Do people conceive dog babies
> that turn human when they come out?"

You might be surprised to find I'm "on your side" on the point you're
making here, but not in the same way you are.

I find it sad to hear about mom's killing their unborn babies, but I
respect that they must have done what was best for them and their
circumstances.

I'd rather see those who have a problem with mom being forced into
situations that drive her to make that decision, help fix the
circumstances first -- before worrying about legislation on the topic.

My wife and I have discussed adoption, and we're somewhat insulted at
the adoption process...

We have to go through interviews, background checks, financial
documentation, and basically be "screened", if we want to be parents.

Idiots and couples without fertility issues just have sex and then reap
the blessings or the pain, depending on just how stupid they were.

They're not "screened" to see if they'd make good parents.

Guess what?  Looking from where I sit, if they can't control themselves,
some of that reality the next day is going to be painful.  Tough.

Same thing happens to me if I run up a $20K credit card bill.  The only
difference is that I don't have to kill to get out of the situation.

Personal responsibility.

(I also favor STIFF monetary penalties for males who run away from
pregnant women carrying their children.  And frankly, I favor forced DNA
paternity testing, damn the "rights" issues.  It ultimately only "hurts"
the idiot who's already hurt himself.  The five other guys she slept
with can also sweat it out.  Keep your dick in your pants if you don't
want to deal with these kinds of problems.  Find something else to do
besides sex as a recreational hobby.  Again, personal responsibility,
forced if necessary.)

I have no disagreement with your point that you believe conception of a
human is conception of a human.

The problem remains that the majority in our society want to have the
ability to kill humans before they're a certain age.  I see that for
what it is.

I don't think that can be fixed with legislation -- One needs to
understand why our society thinks that way, first.

> The second question seems
> ridiculous, because it is, but it is also perfectly illustrative.
>
> This is, in my mind, not a political distraction, but one of the primary
> reasons for the existence of government, to establish a system whereby
> predatory behavior is discouraged by the community in some structured
> way.

I disagree, and I think the forefathers of the country did too.  They
wanted people to have the ability to defend THEMSELVES.

(But that'd lead back to 2nd Amendment stuff we've already discussed in
this group... no need to be circular -- I have a new topic down below
here for us all...)

> No one is allowed to take my life or property, without my having
> done something to deserve it, in general.

Ha... I'll let the IRS know you want your taxes back.  :-)  Another
person that wants life to be fair.  Good luck with that.

> Is production and profit to
> be prioritized before principle?

No.  But who's principles?

> Couldn't we be more profitable as a
> country by reducing or eliminating other indigent classes, not just the
> unborn?  There are a good number of people with no regard for the
> homeless and hungry, perhaps we could start a Soylent Green initiative.
> Hey, that reminds me of embryonic stem-cell testing.  Someone wiser than
> I am will have to explain the significant difference to me.

One is fiction, one is real -- and the cost/benefit analysis to
individuals is VERY difficult on the real one.

The fiction is a metaphorical warning to us to pay close attention to
the real and things like it.  But it gives no answers.

As you'll note also in the book, the revelation that "Soylent Green IS
PEOPLE!" -- complete with overacting in the movie :-) --  didn't stop it
from happening, and didn't stop it from BEGINNING either.

Individual choices make up "society" unless the choices are rammed down
our throats by those who would make more laws and more government.

Thus my fascination with the question... Are we really getting more
sociopathic as a society?

What does that mean about the individuals that make up our society?

The economists in the group will nod and smile knowingly: People do what
benefits them the most.  You can't stop them from doing so without
killing them or forcing them to stop in other ways, all of which are a
removal of their rights by force.

Does sociopathic behaviour have benefits for some that outweigh the
costs?  I think it does, and that makes me feel a little strange,
honestly.  We certainly see it regularly in political leaders, or at
least in their "captains" who get them elected.

---- A New Topic ----

As far as "homeless and hungry", I worked for 3 months as a full-time
job in Chicago at a Christian homeless shelter, and single mother "help"
center that put single moms in affordable church-built and subsidized
housing.  A long time ago.

I learned and saw things about the homeless that many of my suburbanite
friends don't believe.

The most difficult one for many to swallow was the group of four males
who were homeless, but all were able and willing to take day jobs and
had done so whenever they needed money, from the local day-labor
company... they all had the earning potential to make enough money to
leave the streets and get apartments elsewhere in the city.

When I asked them respectfully why they were still on the street, their
answer was:  "Because these guys are my family.  I couldn't get a job
and leave them!"

No kidding.

The instinct to have people around them who cared about them was
stronger than the need for shelter, and this was in Chicago -- where I
would argue that I've never felt colder, outside in the winter.

For the group:

I am curious about what this group thinks about Denver's latest
anti-homeless initiative, and the things like the Homeless Parking
Meters in Downtown Denver, etc.

I think it'll work to a point, but it'd never pull those four guys in
Chicago off the streets.  They had friends/"family", they could get
shelter at the homeless shelter I worked at in cases of dire need, and
food -- always.  And they even had pitiful but workable health care for
things that would kill them -- across town at the infamous Cook County
Hospital.

(I regularly chuckled when watching "ER" at how nice "Cook County" looks
on NBC.  The place was a war-torn hell-hole, over-run with masses of
people on Friday nights, and I've took more than one homeless person
there for the shelter.  Even the homeless would put off medical care
until Saturday or Sunday if they could, to avoid going there.  The only
reason I saw it on a Friday night is that one man, whom I only knew as
"Red" due to the color of his hair, had had his head cracked open with a
baseball bat by another homeless man who was schizophrenic.  But to this
day, Cook County is one of the things I worry about when I hear
"Socialized Medicine".)

I think my brain hurts now... time to stop.  :-)

Nate

p.s. Okay I didn't stop... LOL...

David, many of your formal debating methods are lost on me.  I've never
had any formal debate training, and only have a rudimentary knowledge of
the debate "rules".

I don't see a debate here, I see a discussion.

If you wish to play for "points" where one point is "stipulated" while
another is made, I'm not interested.

I'm interested in how we all view this grand, crazy, unfair, but often
fun thing, we call life.

And I'm glad we're having this conversation, even if it turns out to be
an utter waste of time.  Why?

Because it's better than trying to discuss it with my TV, or to act like
a discussion is really going on in "talk radio".

Real people having real interactions (even if I'm losing the
argument???? GRIN...) is still better time spent than sitting drooling
being spoon-fed my thoughts by "the media".

:-)