[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Michael Fierro miguelito at biffster.org
Thu Sep 27 23:31:48 MDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 09:58:19PM -0600, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> >>as this hatred will grow. There is no American Muslim, there is only
> >
> >That is completely untrue. There are American Muslims. Just like
> >there are American Catholics and American Baptists and American Methodists

> Most Muslims are taught to not pledge allegiance to anything but the
> Koran/Allah whereas Jesus recognized that there is some good with
> Governments, albeit not 100% good, when He state to "render to Caesar
> what is his." So since that is what they are taught, there are no
> American Muslims, but if they are taught differently, then by all
> means there might be some.

Where in the Constitution does it say that one has to pledge allegiance to
the government to be an American? Wouldn't that violate the concept of our
freedoms? We are free to dislike the government if we so choose. We are free
to want to change our form of government via constitutional amendments. The
entire concept of our great nation is that no one has to pledge allegiance to
anything to be an American. We are free to believe whatever it is that we
choose to believe in.

That being said, I also think there's a huge difference between pledging
allegiance and believing in a form of government. I'd bet you donuts to
dollars that there are a lot of Muslims who think that Democracy is a good
idea. Just like there are a lot of Christians and Buddhists and Daoists that
think Democracy is a good idea.

Government and Religion are not the same thing, and should not be equated.
Being of one particular religion (or not belonging to one particular
religion) is also not a requirement to be an American.

> This site is not hate filled, only factual in it's discussions, it is

There are two different types of discrimination: overt and institutional. The website
itself tries its best not to be overt in what it presents, but the entire
basis for the website (Muslims are evil and are trying to kill everyone else)
is very much discriminatory against all Muslims.

> errors in facts is not being hate filled, but beating people up
> physically because of their errors might be. Notice all of the
> "cartoon rage" over pictures of their prophet Mohammed, now that is
> hate filled.

I don't disagree that the violence was unnecessary. But you are also talking
about a very small percentage of Muslims who did this. This is the equivalent
of saying that teenage girls shave off their hair and drive drunk because
Britney Spears has done so. It is never valid to ascribe behavior of a small
part of a population to the entire population.

Michael Fierro                                  miguelito at biffster.org
Y! Messenger: miguelito_fierro                           AIM: mfierro1
http://biffster.org                           http://weightjournal.com
--
Leela: This wangs chung.