[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Sat Sep 29 08:15:04 MDT 2007

> > What's the reason for not believing in the Bible? If you consider
>
> Because it is obviously a deftly crafted mix of historical fact, tons of
> fiction, fables and parables. And bits of it are horribly dated. The whole
> "god created the world in 7 days" bit comes straight from the fact that
> people 2,000 years ago had no idea about the planet, the solar system, nor
> anything beyond that.
>
> Of course, the whole creation thing might've also been a parable. The Adam &
> Eve thing definitely is: the moral of the story is: don't think you know more
> than you actually do, or you can get your ass kicked out of paradise. Which
> is a pretty good moral, actually.

It is historicial in the sense that it is the histor of one peple,
filtered from their poit of view about their relationship to their god.
But the oldest part, Genesis, also contains myths and legends thhat are
very similar to those of Mesopotamia and Syria.  Not surprising since
they were all Semitic peoples.  They simply reinterpreted them n the
context of their new belief, and probably restructured them as well to
fit their beliefs.

Then there is one book, Pseudodeuteronomy ?, that was miraculously found
during a time of troubles, that just happened to support the rulers.

> > what I believe, but to point out that we all will die one day. As I
> > said before, we will pay for our beliefs whether we're right or
> > wrong, I just to make sure I'm right, and so are you.
>
> I am choosing to spend my time living this life. If there's an afterlife,
> then it'll be a surprise. If there is, I'll join the 99.999% of all human
> beings who have ever lived that chose the wrong religion to get into heaven.
>
> I don't agree with the "we will pay for our beliefs" bit. If the atheists are
> right, there'll be nothing to pay. Once a person dies, they are dead, that's
> it.

If all that matters is belief, then why are there the ten
commandments?

One person doesn't believe in God but lives a good life and is generous,
honest and helpful, Another person believes in God but is a cheat and a
thief, lies to people, maybe even kills someone.  Which goes to heaven?
If it is the second man, this God does not seem very just or worth
following. Yet this is exactly what some people believe and how some
people live.

I suppose you could argue that your actions show your faith.  If so,
that is a lesson many people need to learn.