[clue-talk] Would you pass the U.S. citizenship test?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sat Sep 29 12:57:14 MDT 2007

On 09-28 22:22, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> How many of you got this test right?
>
> http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-
> immigrationquiz,1,324837.triviaquiz?coll=la-news-a_section

I saw a lot point-counterpoints about having more of what is called
"Biblical literacy" among the general population. While I think that has
merits - along with along types of literacy, of course, like stressing
critical thinking, learning how to learn, scientific literacy, etc.

However, I recently saw something that I think most people could agree on,
and that's a Constitutional literacy. That way more people would have a
firmer understanding of what the goals and drivers of the founding of this
country truly was. That would include the Constitution, Declaration of
Independence, Bill of Rights, Tom Paine's writings, etc. And far more
important than remember facts and figures and dates, the how and the why and
what the push and pull was politically.

And if not for just the general citizens, it should be done for our
politicians. If John Q Public comes across the border and gets citizenship
and doesn't know much about the country, that's far less damaging than
someone in power with the same lack of knowledge and/or outright
disinformation.

Politicians should be quizzed at every turn by the media, during debates,
constituents, etc. about the Constitution. I would be very much in favor of
a test being given to anyone serving the public - that way, they would not
be so quick to make outrageous statements that should get laughed out of the
room. Instead, we have goofy litmus tests given in other ways that I've
given my opinion about...people are far more concerned about a politician's
metaphysical beliefs than they are about their understanding of this
country.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original
in your work.
-Flaubert