[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at viawest.net
Sun Sep 30 12:28:56 MDT 2007

Sean,

I appreciate your candor and thoughtfulness in your postings, it's
nice to have a meaningful discussion with you about these subjects.
Thanks. Oh, my comments below.

On Sep 30, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Assuming he was actually a historical Jesus, and what he said was
> captured
> accurately (and not edited through the years), yeah, I think some
> of what he
> did/said was great - the violent parts I could do without, but
> maybe that's
> my Quaker imprinting speaking. I say "if" he was historical,
> because of
> arguments like the one presented in "The God That Wasn't
> There" (trailer):

One of the interesting facts about the Bible, or all of the letters
that compose the Bible, is that we've got more numbers of manuscripts
of the Bible numbering in the thousands and which are so close to the
original date of authorship compared with Greek literature that is
"accepted as fact" that it makes you wonder what people are thinking.
i.e. most Biblical manuscripts are about 100-200 years away from the
original date while the Greek manuscripts are hundreds more years
away from the date of authorship.

 From my History degree the one thing that I remember is the concept
of primary and secondary sources. Primary sources are first hand
accounts of something while secondary sources are writings about
primary sources. All of the Bible manuscripts are primary sources,
not secondary ones. The Bible has never been edited because we have
nearly a complete record of the accuracy of the letters of the Bible,
i.e. 1 out of 1000 words might be in error, but that one word does
not affect the context at all. So based on this short description,
let's trust the Bible's veracity, unless you want to delve more into
these details, you can go here (
http://www.ankerberg.com/ ) for another source of information.

So, now the question becomes: what about translation and
interpretation. While the source can be trusted, translation and
interpretation are where things can diverge some into all sorts of
directions. When translating and interpreting the Bible you come from
four perspectives:

1. Historical context: what was going on during that day and time for
the person to write what they've written
2. Categories: looking at each word throughout the Bible and seeing
for convergent and divergent definitions and building doctrines based
on careful analysis.
3. Exegesis: looking at the words to be as accurate with the text.
4. Character of God: God is both Love and Judgement as well as other
aspects, all have to be in sync.

As #4 above, the one factor that comes into play the most is the
aspect of God's Love and Judgment toward people. Most liberals talk
only about God's love and rarely, if never, of His Judgment.
Conservatives are on the other end of the spectrum and talk mostly of
Judgment and rarely Love. To put this in perspective, if you have
kids, at what point does your love of your kids stop, probably never,
but at what point do you punish your kids for doing wrong? Same goes
for the Christian's Father in Heaven, while most non-believers say we
get away "with murder" do not realize that we don't and we're held to
a higher standard with Love being the guiding force. What most non-
believers and some believers don't realize is that God allows
Christians to be punished by non-believers to keep us in line with
what He wants, but only with God's permission for He controls it all.
If you read Habakkuk chapters 1-2 you'll see that God allows the
Chaldeans (in our present day the Taliban, to provide some
perspective) to punish the wrong doings of the Jews, or today's
Christians. If we are doing God's will things go better for us, see
Proverbs 16:7 "When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his
enemies to be at peace with him."

So with interpretation comes some errors, Some churches emphasize one
doctrine over another without looking at all parts to come to a
correct conclusion. Man either adds to or takes away from what God
states, i.e. either extreme asceticism or lasciviousness. For
instance, water baptism of a Christian is commanded by some
denominations, but when you read the Bible there is no reference of
the Apostles being baptized. Why? Because God is saying that it is a
ritual and NOT necessary for salvation and getting into heaven. If
you see the film "Luther" you get a good glimpse of what the
Reformation is about and why rituals are not the issue and the Bible
is the main point.

While you might abhor violence, I, too, don't want it around either,
but then again, why is it here? Because there is evil in this world
and good must triumph over it at some point.

Thanks for the ear.

Kevin