[clue-talk] How do CLUEbies vote?

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Sun Sep 30 19:50:57 MDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 13:38 -0600, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > >Assuming he was actually a historical Jesus, and what he said was
> > >captured
> > >accurately (and not edited through the years), yeah, I think some
> > >of what he
> > >did/said was great - the violent parts I could do without, but
> > >maybe that's
> > >my Quaker imprinting speaking. I say "if" he was historical,
> > >because of
> > >arguments like the one presented in "The God That Wasn't
> > >There" (trailer):
> >
> > One of the interesting facts about the Bible, or all of the letters
> > that compose the Bible, is that we've got more numbers of manuscripts
> > of the Bible numbering in the thousands and which are so close to the
> > original date of authorship compared with Greek literature that is
> > "accepted as fact" that it makes you wonder what people are thinking.
> > i.e. most Biblical manuscripts are about 100-200 years away from the
> > original date while the Greek manuscripts are hundreds more years
> > away from the date of authorship.
> >
> > From my History degree the one thing that I remember is the concept
> > of primary and secondary sources. Primary sources are first hand
> > accounts of something while secondary sources are writings about
> > primary sources. All of the Bible manuscripts are primary sources,
> > not secondary ones. The Bible has never been edited because we have
> > nearly a complete record of the accuracy of the letters of the Bible,
>
> Wait a second. That's not what I understand at all. In fact, one of the
> books on my "to read" list is by a Biblical scholar who contends the exact
> opposite. He started out with faith, and after delving into the Bible during
> his theological studies, ended up agnostic. That's pretty profound, if you
> ask me. It's Misquoting Jesus, by Bart D. Ehrman.
>
> http://www.powells.com/review/2007_07_14
>
> Quote from review:
>
> "Those who call the King James Version of the Bible the unerring word of God
> have a slight problem. The New Testament of the KJV (as the King James
> Version is usually referred) was translated into English from a version of
> the Greek New Testament that had been collected from twelfth-century copies
> by Erasmus. Where Erasmus couldn't find Greek manuscripts, he translated to
> Greek from the Latin Vulgate (which itself had been translated from Greek
> back in the fourth century). Here the problem splits into two problems.
> First, Jesus spoke Aramaic --- his actual words, never recorded, were only
> rendered in Greek in the original gospels. Thus, the KJV consists of Jesus'
> words twice refracted through the prism of translation. Second, Erasmus's
> Greek New Testament was based on handwritten copies of copies of copies of
> copies, etc., going back over a millennium, and today is considered one of
> the poorer Greek New Testaments. It is this second problem that Ehrman
> spends most time on in Misquoting Jesus, a fascinating account of New

The Vulgate itself was translated from a number of other sources, some
Greek, some probably Latin, and some probably Aramaic.  The Vulgate was
a break with Roman tradition because it was written in popular Latin,
not the refined Latin of the classical writers.

> Many people have a vague notion that all the original biblical texts are
> preserved in vaults somewhere, and translators work from those original
> texts. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. The earliest surviving versions
> of the gospels are handwritten copies dating from centuries after the
> original texts were written. Also, we don't just have a single version of
> each gospel; we have many versions, and even more fragments. The trouble is,
> none of the versions agree with each other. As Ehrman puts it, there are
> more points of disagreement between manuscripts than there are words in the
> Gospels. So which one is right? How can one tell what the original authors
> intended?"

One of those disagreements is commonly given as a cause of the split
between western (Roman Catholic) and eastern Christianity (Greek
Orthodox).  I think that disagreement is due to a word missing an "i" in
one document, giving a very different interpretation.