[clue-talk] A "lifehacker" sort of question

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Fri Aug 8 15:56:24 MDT 2008

So, I was wondering if anyone knows of an extension to gmail, or some of the
email readers that can use it, that would split up large batches of stuff
being sent into several emails.

Use case: you want to send several photos to someone who has an email
account that rejects email over N megabytes. The tool let's you give a list
of those files in whatever manner (ctrl select in an open file dialog), and
then asks for upper limit (better yet if it can try to discover it by trying
to send and wait a fixed amount of time to see if it bounced...) and then
sends out Y emails, depending on how many photos can fit in that upper
bound.

I was tasked with just this thing - "can you send our vacation pics to so
and so, who only has a Yahoo account" - which I think is capped at 10M per
message, argh. Luckily, there weren't that many pics that had to be
sent...very few in fact, considering what I often have after even a few days
anywhere. But still, this seems VERY tedious.

Now, I know I could, say, set up a Flikr account or similar and post to
something like that, but I'm not sure what's involved with that, and some
people don't want that as a solution (people on the other end).

Anyone ever run across something like this? It would seem it's a pretty
common task in order to get around email restrictions at the other end....

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
It is right that he too should have his little chronicle, his memories, his
reason, and be able to recognize the good in the bad, the bad in the worst,
and so grow gently old all down the unchanging days and die one day like any
other day, only shorter.
-Samuel Beckett, "Malone Dies"