Human communications approach, VOIP improvement, was- Re: [clue-talk] BerkeleyTIP Great progress VOIP...

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Thu Dec 4 14:26:07 MST 2008

Hi David, Nate - Thanks for your comments.  :)

==
David - Thanks for defending me against what you perceived as rudeness!
:)  I actually wasn't really offended by Nates comments.  I saw his
"shameless plug" statement, & figured he has a personal enthusiasm for
VOIP stuff, based on his work, & was just sharing what the "big stuff"
could do.

You were on the mark also about that I was "celebrating meeting
attendance, not technical achievement."  I was really happy that the
group had made such a big step up in capability, (from irc to voip in
one meeting, plus greater attendance) when there had been no prior work
on it, & all we were starting from was a bit of info on where some VOIP
servers were. (For anyone curious, here's our VOIP info page:
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal/web/irc-voip
)

Your comments about the  '"constructive criticism" approach.' are good
too.  IMO, for many technical people (myself included ;) ) it takes
extra conscious effort to put/communicate the "well meaningness" &
"emotional positivity" into words [hence my conscious attempts to use
emoticons when I write.  :)  ;)  ].  Following your approach is a good
method also, it seems to me.  :)

==
Nate - Thanks for the info about what the big HW can do!  :)  Glad to
see you are enthusiastic about VOIP.  :)

As a matter of fact, the reason we got the VOIP conference going so
easily is cause we were using a free service, & all we had to do was
create a channel & log in.  :)

My main personal goal is to create a monthly meeting that people all
over the world can easily have voice communications ability with.  So
I'm looking for some combination of implementation ease &
inexpensiveness [free is nice  ;)  ].

I'd actually looked at either wengo, or something like it.  In
discussions with a friend, we concluded Ekiga & the free VOIP conference
server was a likely good solution.  So, the ProgrammingParty part of the
Nov meeting was to give it a try - & it worked out fantastically well!
:)

One improvement we noted that we'd like to make came from the fact that
with that service there was no way to tell who was actually _in_ the
conference.  That prompted the goal of trying to figure out a way to
accomplish that for this next meeting, as the "ProgrammingProject" part
of the Dec 6th meeting.

(So, the current plan will be to discuss at the meeting various options,
one being to learn about & set up an Asterisk server, & learn to
configure it so we can get a way to see who is logged into the voip
conference.)

So, Nate, ;) , since you seem to know some stuff about VOIP systems, if
you'd care to join the VOIP conference for this meeting (we have an IRC
channel too) & help us work up to a higher level of technical VOIP
conferencing ability, I'm sure your contributions would be appreciated.
:)

Maybe you know a way to get one of the free conferencing services to
show who is logged into a channel???

==
David & Nate (& everyone on this list) - I hope you both/all can join
with us for at least part of the meeting.  :)  Just stop by & say "hi"
on irc if you're really busy this saturday.  People can participate from
home, or wherever.  No need to get a group together - one can merely
connect up individually.  Anyone wanting to try the VOIP stuff, get a
mic & headphones, & use a VOIP client (Ekiga was what I think everyone
used in November).  Do a "loop back" server test, to make sure your VOIP
system is working properly.

Join us on IRC if you haven't used VOIP before, & all the friendly
people here will try & help out anyone who needs advice or help in
getting their VOIP going.  :)

I hope BerkeleyTIP gets a contingent from the Colorado Linux Enthusiasts
this Dec 6 meeting!  :)