[clue-talk] I'd like opinions on VM software

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 15:15:26 MST 2008

2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo (guest OS gets one core when active?)
2 GB RAM (this will be upgraded later on because it seems the sweet spot is 1GB per guest OS, 512MB is the recommended minimum)
200 GB HD space (plenty of space)

I primarily need it for web development, nothing that should tax a GPU so 3D isn't really a consideration.

Linux, XP, and Vista are the most likely choices for guest OSes; you can only virtualize Mac Server on Apple hardware and I'm not interested in Server.  I figure a minimum of 20 GB per guest OS though the XP one may be larger for some applications like Photoshop assuming I can't get it to run decently under WINE.  Seamless Windows (VirtualBox), Coherence (Parallels), and Unity (VMWare) are cool features for that.  It would be ideal if my home directory is accessible to/from each guest OS, but if each guess OS has it's own partition instead of just being a file and that partition is readable from the host OS, then it's not that big a requirement.

I essentially want to run different browsers for different OSes and also
run the occasional Windows app that doesn't work well under WINE.  Nothing terribly intensive.