[clue-talk] Re: [clue-tech] The latest Debian feud - worth a read

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 15:19:30 MST 2008

Taking graphic drivers as an example.

- I can get an Nvidia card and use the nv driver on Linux and get a 2D display minus 3D acceleration or hardware accelerated video
- Alternatively, I can use the proprietary Nvidia for driver and get full 2D/3D acceleration but no hardware accelerated video.  Same goes for the ATI proprietary driver.
- To get all the features I can dual-boot into Windows.
- Or I can wait for the open source ATI driver to implement all the missing features using the recently published specs ATI graciously provided.
- If I don't want to wait, I could theoretically help write the driver except a) I don't have any experience writing graphic drivers and b) I don't have any desire to learn because it's not of any interest to me.  Personally, I like high-level programming.

So depending on the applications I need the graphics card, I'll go with the system configuration that best fits its use regardless of the permutation: (non-)free software on a (non-)free operating system.

It would be nice if all companies would take a queue from Intel and open source their drivers, but Nvidia/ATI are free to do what they want.  Personally, I think it would be advantageous to everyone both company and consumer if drivers were open sourced, but unless I'm on the board of said company, my opinion means little except when it comes to purchasing.

GPL software is awesome.  What happened with the Linksys router stands as a good example.  I'm sure it didn't hurt Linksys/Cisco's bottom line when the WRT54GL won the Newegg Customer Choice award 18 times.  That said, any author of software can license it however they want including _not_ licensing it and putting it in the public domain.

In summary, Free > Non-Free when non-free doesn't save me money or time.  Non-Free > Free when free doesn't have a feature I want and I'm not willing to wait or implement it myself.