[clue-talk] Asus EEe and Linux distros

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 13:13:10 MST 2008

I see that it did not take long to port some distros to the Eee:  Arch Linux, Ubuntu and Fedora have been ported.  As to which is best suited, that also depends on the user.  A lot of people who are comfortable with installing programs on Ubuntu and Fedora might not like Arch.

EEe now has 1 GB RAM and an 8 GB solid state disk.  The price is also at $500-600.

I find the SSD to be intriguing.  What is the projected maximum number of writes?  At least one Arch Linux document says that you should disable marking a file whenever it is accessed, never use journaling and to disable swap.  Someone else says that's ridiculous and that Asus does not do that with the preinstalled Xandros.