[clue-talk] Immigration Gumballs

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat Jan 12 13:53:53 MST 2008

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Nate Duehr wrote:
>> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>>
>>> So then you have to ask yourself, why is it we have this "problem"
>>> on one of our borders but not on the other?  I think the answer to
>>> this problem that people often overlook because they're too busy
>>> getting scared of the individuals crossing over is that we do not
>>> have sovereign reign over other countries, and when Mexico plays
>>> "unfairly" we stand to lose.
>>
>> I love your theory.
>>
>> Since there's no way they'd ever attack/invade us, we can just play
>> "unfairly" with Canada and deport illegal immigrants from Mexico at
>> the Canadian border!
>>
>> :-)
> Well "we" wouldn't want that.  The average person in Mexico doesn't
> benefit from this arrangement...
By the way... I don't know, maybe I just sound crazy to everyone, but...
what I mean by "play unfairly" is that Mexico doesn't take care of its
citizens and promotes an environment of corruption and disparity between
classes of people.  (Something I hope never happens here.)  By keeping
their people in that state, they encourage them to seek money
elsewhere.  And of course, it's a nice thing that they always want to
"send money back home" but I don't blame them for that.

I'd also like to point out that culture plays some role in what kind of
government works for us.  Yeah, I know I might say things like "look at
France and their health care system."  But it really doesn't mean we
should just do exactly what France does.  It's the same reason why I
think Japan does fine with huge conglomerates, whereas I think we need
to pay more attention to trust-busting.  There is a definite culture
difference in the US of individuality.  People here really feel free to
act how they want to without nearly as much as societal or cultural
pressure to act a certain way.

Angelo