[clue-talk] Heller

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Tue Jul 1 14:37:21 MDT 2008

Heller is a ruling from the Supreme Court.  It shot down Washington DC's
gun control laws, specifically because it's unconstitutional to tell
someone they have to have trigger locks on guns inside their home.
Also, DC had some pretty strict rules on who could register a gun,
basically amounting to a city-wide ban on handguns, "but authorizes the
police chief to issue 1-year licenses".  Heller was denied the right to
register a gun, so he sued.

Here's the ruling:
http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

On one hand. this seems to me to be a perfect example of judicial
activism.  The gun control laws were made by the dutifully elected
officials of DC.  They were trod upon by the appointed elite of the
SCOTUS.  SCOTUS further explicitly denied the original intent of the
constitution and decided that the states' constitutions provided a
better legal guide than the federal constitution we all know.  Another
instance of the twisted reasoning this court will go through to justify
their own political agendas.

On the other hand, it also seems pretty clear that a city shouldn't be
able to ban guns except for those the chief of police allows.  I would
have preferred a ruling which said "the chief of police can't be the
only person allowed to authorize registration of guns".  That's just
ridiculous, and Heller had every right to be pissed.  Heller was a cop!
A "D. C. special policeman", according to the SCOTUS opinion.  What
idiot decided we need to keep guns out of the hands of the police?

In the end, I don't see this affecting us.  The real effect is that
Denver can't tell us we can't own guns.  But, I don't think Denver was
going to, no matter how blue the state goes.  And most of this list
lives in places south of Denver, which are even less likely to ban
guns.  Maybe Boulder, but if you're a gun enthusiast...*don't move to
Boulder*.

-Dave