[clue-talk] the recent "green" fads - or "Stupid Green"

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 14:57:18 MDT 2008

From: Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>
> Taken out to the n-th degree (pun intended, since this relates to
> server/datacenter cooling), with energy use on everyone's minds right
> now -- even with gasoline just MATCHING the price of fancy bottled
> WATER, not even above it yet... on a per gallon basis...
>
> (Think about that one for a minute...)
>
> Sitting at a computer reading e-mail or surfing for "fun" could easily
> be frowned upon as a frivolous waste of electrons, someday.
>
> You just never know...
>
> But I had to share some "green" stuff I've seen at my company and
> elsewhere that makes little sense.
>
> I laughed out loud when my company DEMANDED that all employees add this
> to our e-mail signatures:
>
> "Please consider your social responsibility when printing this e-mail."
>
> Yep... it's really on there.  (Well, I resisted and didn't add it.
> Probably means I'll never get a promotion again.  Ha!  Damn cults.)  And
> we really send that crap to customers.
>
> Even scarier, there's a cult here of workers who live in the Boulder
> area (not kidding) who've really bought into this thing.  They get upset
> at people and have social issues with people who haven't put it on their
> e-mail signatures yet.  Seriously!
>
> First off... I haven't heard a printer printing anything all day, and
> didn't before either.  So spamming ourselves with this phrase is doing
> what, exactly?  And spamming customers with it?!
>
> I edited it and sent it back to a few trusted co-workers and a boss
> who's cool about such things:
>
> "Please consider your social responsibility when using your computer and
> burning tons of coal a day to keep our data center running and cool at
> the same time.  Microsoft Exchange requires far more resources than a
> phone call."
>
> Other fun Dilbert-esque "green" policies include:
>
> No official work from home policy, but banning the purchase of plastic
> water bottles.
>
> (I burn more in petroleum driving one way to work than all of the
> bottles this facility went through in a year used, and all of those were
> RECYCLED!)
>
> Company picnics and parties 40+ miles from the office area.
>
> (If I lived near the office, I'd care more... but I live 27 miles away
> anyway.  I did suggest that I might be thrown in the gulag if I show up
> at the company party in our family Suburban though -- someone might
> lynch me.)
>
> Company required training sessions 30+ miles away at the other company
> offices, when we are a MANUFACTURER of videoconferencing equipment.
>
> (Shouldn't using that equipment be MANDATORY, as in "eat your own dog
> food?"...)
>
> Tons of people driving Priuses (Prii? - GRIN)... don't get me started on
> that.
>
> Sigh... it's all so silly, bordering on truly retarded.  So many "green"
> initiatives just move the energy use problem around, they don't
> eliminate the actual use.

> [...]

We haven't implemented anything green at work.  They've talked a bit about letting us have slightly flexible schedules for carpooling, but nothing else.  I would like to work from home one or two days a week, but I doubt that will happen.  Besides, I interface to a lot of people.  Working from home might be hard.

No picnics tho, so maybe we are contributing. :)

Most people don't make things, so they don't know what is involved.  Even manufacturers don't usually know how their raw materials are made.

A judge in Georgia stopped the construction of a coal-fired power plant today because it emits CO2, but I bet he and the plaintiffs still want their electricity, air conditioning, TV, etc.

On the subject of stupidity, and marketing, I saw a bottle of organic Greek dressing on Sunday.  I couldn't care less about the supposed organicness of the dressing but I was curious about the spices so I started reading the ingredients.  One of the ingredients is "organic water".