[clue-talk] Heller

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Tue Jul 1 17:44:10 MDT 2008

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 23:37:18 +0000
dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:

> I haven't checked, but the Federalist papers might talk about this
> amendment.  They're not a legal document, but they do express the
> intent of the founders.

Indeed, Federalist 48 (IIRC) was cited by the ruling. Modern Libertarians
tend to not like Alexander Hamilton, but this from Fed. 29 is one that
comes to my mind:

... but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form
an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the
liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little,
if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand
ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This
appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing
army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

http://www.foundingfathers.info/federalistpapers/fed29.htm

jed