[clue-talk] the recent "green" fads - or "Stupid Green"

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 10:15:50 MDT 2008

> So do you think those smart cars are really safe?  I think in a place
> like DC (where I currently live) it's fine and I've seen a few, but I
> really don't know if I'd trust it in Colorado with those high winds.
> Sometimes I felt like our mini van was going to get blown over, I can't
> imagine a smart car standing up to it.

>From Wikipedia:

In American tests using a five star rating, Smart cars received a four
star safety rating for the driver from a front impact, and a five star
safety rating for the driver for a side impact. It also received "Good" ratings (top rating) for front and side crash
protection in Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) tests.

You'd think a vehicle that tall relative to its wheel base would topple easily but I think the center of gravity is low.  It can certainly handle Colorado highways since one passed me once, when I was traveling down 25 to NM.  Personally I like the TH!NK Ox versus the Smart ForTwo. (http://www.think.no/think/content/view/full/261) It's a shame that it looks like they dropped the sportier looking 3-door coupe.