[clue-talk] Fw: Linux

Wed Jul 16 00:05:41 MDT 2008

I am trying to write a definition of "Linux" that is technically accurate and functional
for many sorts of people, even those who have only limited exposure to Windows and
MacOS.  This below is my first swing.  Please feel free to make suggestions on better
phrasing or arrangement.  Please DON'T say that something doesn't work without
suggesting something better.  The three goals are: simple, short, and accurate.

From: "David L. Willson" <DLWillson at TheGeek.NU>
To: "Mattson, George" <George.Mattson at westin.com>
Cc: dlwillson at TheGeek.NU
Sent: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:30:00 -0600
Subject: Linux

George,

You're answer's pretty good, but let me offer what might be a better:

Linux is an operating system, a layer of software that allows other software to get to
the computer's hardware resources, like the hard drive, RAM, processor, and network
connection.

Generally, Linux is consumed as part of a Linux distribution or "distro".  A Linux
distribution is all the software you need to operate your PC for a wide variety of purposes.

Linux is free.  Linux generally costs little or nothing to the average user.

Linux is free.  Anyone is allowed to use Linux for whatever purpose, and they can get
the "code" (the near-English that software is made of), and they can modify the code,
creating a new product, and they can use the new product for whatever purpose, and they
can redistribute their new product, so long as they offer the code to the product and
allow "down-stream" users to do whatever ~they~ want to with it.

Linux is free.  Because of the first two freedoms, there are lots of different versions
of Linux available and there's a high degree of compatibility between them.  This
creates a third major freedom for users of Linux, freedom of choice.  Linux is the most
popular OS where that "freedom to choose" can exist.  Copyright and patent law
prevent competition in most operating system spaces, because most OS vendors have chosen
to create closed/proprietary/monopolistic systems and "protect" those systems with
software patents.  A Windows binary (a program designed for Windows), for example, can
only run on Microsoft's Windows, because there is no other Windows, and legally, there
can't be.  Similarly, a Macintosh binary can only run on Apple's MacOS.  The makers of
free software like Linux use copyright law to protect the open-ness of the software and
the rights of the user, instead.  So, a Linux binary can run on the Linux distributions
from many different vendors, and in fact any person or group of people may choose to
create their own distribution of Linux to run Linux binaries on.

Linux is only command-line centric for the hardcore geeks, these days.  Many others
(normal users, developers, DBAs, etc...) see the command-line only occasionally,
spending most of their time in one or more graphical applications, instead.

OK, I'm tired of writing, but I think that sums up what Linux is and how it differs from
others in it's class.  Let me know if you can think of improvements to what I've put
down here, because I'd like to re-use it.

-- David