[clue-talk] Fw: Linux

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Wed Jul 16 12:27:09 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 00:05 -0600, David L. Willson wrote:
> I am trying to write a definition of "Linux" that is technically accurate and functional
> for many sorts of people, even those who have only limited exposure to Windows and
> MacOS.  This below is my first swing.  Please feel free to make suggestions on better
> phrasing or arrangement.  Please DON'T say that something doesn't work without
> suggesting something better.  The three goals are: simple, short, and accurate.

Here are my comments.  Feel free to reject them if they are not to your liking. :)

How about this instead?

Linux is the core program, around which other programs are added to
create a complete operating system.  This operating system is also
called Linux.

> Generally, Linux is consumed as part of a Linux distribution or "distro".  A Linux
> distribution is all the software you need to operate your PC for a wide variety of purposes.

More programs are added to create a useful system, that is, it includes
a GUI and programs that people need to do work, play games, browse the
web, etc.  This conglomeration is called a distribution, or distro, that
is distributed to anyone who wants it.

> Linux is free.  Linux generally costs little or nothing to the average user.

Add this for those uncomfortable getting something free?

If you feel more secure buying Linux, there are Linux companies that
offer their own disbribution and service programs that you can buy.

> Linux is free.  Anyone is allowed to use Linux for whatever purpose, and they can get
> the "code" (the near-English that software is made of), and they can modify the code,
> creating a new product, and they can use the new product for whatever purpose, and they
> can redistribute their new product, so long as they offer the code to the product and
> allow "down-stream" users to do whatever ~they~ want to with it.

Linux is free.  No restrictions are placed on its use.  Anyone can get
the source code and modify it for their own use.  They can even
redistribute their version as long as they offer the source code to
others under the same license restrictions as the original version.

> Linux is free.  Because of the first two freedoms, there are lots of different versions
> of Linux available and there's a high degree of compatibility between them.  This
> creates a third major freedom for users of Linux, freedom of choice.  Linux is the most
> popular OS where that "freedom to choose" can exist.  Copyright and patent law
> prevent competition in most operating system spaces, because most OS vendors have chosen
> to create closed/proprietary/monopolistic systems and "protect" those systems with
> software patents.  A Windows binary (a program designed for Windows), for example, can
> only run on Microsoft's Windows, because there is no other Windows, and legally, there
> can't be.  Similarly, a Macintosh binary can only run on Apple's MacOS.  The makers of
> free software like Linux use copyright law to protect the open-ness of the software and
> the rights of the user, instead.  So, a Linux binary can run on the Linux distributions
> from many different vendors, and in fact any person or group of people may choose to
> create their own distribution of Linux to run Linux binaries on.

Linux is free.  Because of the first two freedoms, many persons have
created their own distributions to meet their needs or tastes and
distributed them for others to use.  Because they use many of the same
programs, there is a high level of uniformity between distros.  This
produces a third choice:  freedom of choice.  Linux is the most popular
OS where the freedom of choice can exist.
In contrast, the makers of free software like Linux use copyright law to
protect the openness of the software and the rights of the user. ...

> Linux is only command-line centric for the hardcore geeks, these days.  Many others
> (normal users, developers, DBAs, etc...) see the command-line only occasionally,
> spending most of their time in one or more graphical applications, instead.

... for the hardware geeks these days.  Most people ...   in a graphical
environment instead.