[clue-talk] Dave R's Weak Intro To Judaism

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Mon Jun 2 14:20:17 MDT 2008

David L. Willson wrote:
> In this case, if the Jewish system dictates that God ensouls a child when it first draws
> breath, then to a devout Jew, the destruction of a fetus or embryo is insignificant.

*pftftt*  Don't believe it!  I was being disingenuous when I said
Judaism isn't against abortion.

To Jews, a fetus is a part of the woman.  To Jews, damaging yourself
intentionally is a serious no-no.  For instance, if you pierce your
ears, the *minimum* punishment is that you can't be buried in a Jewish
grave.  Since it's a tradition to purchase a family grave site where
everyone is buried together, this means you're outcast in front of your
whole extended family, for long after you're dead.  Which means lasting
shame on your mother, which is about as serious as it gets to a Jew.
For *getting your ears pierced*  Just think about what your mother would
say if you got an abortion.

Sure, abortion isn't considered murder, but the severity of the crime
isn't much below murder.

Eating lobster?  Abomination!!!!   A woman learning to read?
Abomination!!!!  I don't even want to think about what the punishment
for my vasectomy would be if I were orthodox.

Seriously, we Jews are pretty hard-core.  That's why you see a lot of
Rabbis on the pro-life side.

If anyone is wondering how closely I follow these laws, I invite you
over to inspect my home bacon making kit.  And my gentile wife.  Um...
forget that...no inspecting the wife.  I work Friday nights, I've taught
my daughter to read, I pierced my ear 18 years ago (and filled in the
hole 16 years ago), I've built accounting systems for the lobster
fishing trade, etc.  I'm a baaaaaad Jew.

-Dave