[clue-talk] abolish abortion in america

Tue Jun 3 01:43:12 MDT 2008

> >  - What are laws for?
>
> Laws provide a (we hope) fair framework for the subsequent prosecution of
> criminals, and establish guidance for things such as restitution and
> punishment. They're the alternative to having people decide for each case
> what the sentence should be.
>
> Expecting more is a fool's errand. Though there is no doubt some degree
> of preventive affect, the same can be said for random "justice" meted out
> by tribunals, despots, et. al.
>
> I suppose in some cases they do provide behavioral guidance for people
> too stupid to realize that some thing are wrong. But that gets back to
> the whole argument of what is "wrong".

So then, can one legislate without imposing a morality, by definition?  I always found
the phrase "you can't legislate morality" interesting, for that reason.  It is true that
no system of laws can force a person to behave in a generally honorable way, but those
laws do create touchstones, or reference points, for the sense of justice, the morality
of the community that created them.

Our legislation then, is a reflection of our morality.  And back on point, our current
legislation makes two statements:

 - If you want to abort your kid, that's none of our business. (Roe v Wade)
 - If you want to abort your kid, we'll pay for it, and make it convenient.  (Planned
Parenthood public funding)

That's a stamp of approval, folks.  Whether we like it or not.

It's one of the many reasons that our government should not be giving to charities from
public funds.  People should be generously giving to charities, for the government to
tax it out of us and then give it away, is inappropriate.  Apparently, though, it's what
we want.

-- David
abolish abortion