[clue-talk] the cult of mac

Sun Jun 29 11:23:46 MDT 2008

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:56:48 -0700, Louis Miller wrote
> Hey folks,
>
>  If anyone didn't get their 2c in about how the Linux community feels about
> Macs and Apple and any of you are the same folks from the clue-tech list, then
> I guess this is the appropriate venue. Sorry, for posting to the wrong e-mail list.

MacOS is not free.  I prefer freedom.  I also resent how little Mac contributes back to
the community.  OTOH, the machines are reputed to be easy to use.  (The strength of
which reputation leads me to believe that mine must be an exception.)  I find Windows
much easier to use and more reliable and easier to get answers about, because of it's
pre-existing mind-share, but I choose Linux for the speed, mind-boggling power, freedom
of choice, long-term competitive benefits to the industry, and some deep-seated,
therapy-resistant, altruistic notions about goodness and evilness.   I believe Linux is,
in the immortal words of the Quaker Oats guy, "the right thing (for technology leaders)
to do".  I don't believe that about MacOS, but every time someone buys a Mac, rather
than a Windows box, I am happy because the industry becomes a little less stale and
monolithic.