[clue-talk] Any feelings on Barr and Libertarian Party?

Michael Fierro miguelito at biffster.org
Fri May 30 12:01:44 MDT 2008

On Thu May 29 2008 5:15:01 pm Jed S. Baer wrote:

> It isn't a perfect analogy, I just use it to illustrate the issue of
> popular votes being similar to total points scored in the season.
>
> In the electoral college, the "games" are weighted, but not quite to the
> point of being equivalent to the popular vote.

I would agree with that. i do think, though, that the electoral college has
lost any value it might have had. It no longer encourages people in the
low-vote states to actually go out and vote.

I would be in favor of either getting rid of the electoral college, or
modifying it so that all states have the same amount of impact. Or at least
that the larger states don't have as drastic an outcome as they currently do.
Maybe have a cap of 15 total electoral votes? Maybe even 10?

Or just give every state 2 votes, and whoever can come up with 51 electoral
votes is the winner. That would totally remove the popular vote from the
equation, and would guarantee that smaller states aren't ignored in favor of
larger states. Though that would probably throw in some wacky
demographic-influenced wrinkles into the process.

Michael Fierro                                  miguelito at biffster.org
Y! Messenger: miguelito_fierro                           AIM: mfierro1
http://biffster.org                           http://weightjournal.com
--
Even as a great rock is not shaken by the wind, the wise man is not shaken by
praise or blame.