[clue-talk] Any feelings on Barr and Libertarian Party?

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Fri May 30 13:34:49 MDT 2008

> I would agree with that. i do think, though, that the electoral college has
> lost any value it might have had. It no longer encourages people in the
> low-vote states to actually go out and vote.
>
> I would be in favor of either getting rid of the electoral college, or
> modifying it so that all states have the same amount of impact. Or at least
> that the larger states don't have as drastic an outcome as they currently do.
> Maybe have a cap of 15 total electoral votes? Maybe even 10?
>
> Or just give every state 2 votes, and whoever can come up with 51 electoral
> votes is the winner. That would totally remove the popular vote from the
> equation, and would guarantee that smaller states aren't ignored in favor of
> larger states. Though that would probably throw in some wacky
> demographic-influenced wrinkles into the process.
>
> --

That is what the electoral college is supposed to do, level the field in some way, so my home state of North Dakota has a chance of having some influence against California, or even Colorado.  This was regarded as critical by the New England states when the Constitution was being drafted, otherwise they wouldn't sign.