[clue-talk] oil...

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 1 02:29:32 MDT 2008

You mean like the land they already own, but don't drill it because they say it's too expensive to drill there?  Seriously, I'm not against additional drilling either, but the USGS survey not withstanding, we currently still consume more oil than we could ever hope to produce domestically.  It's high time Big Oil loses its government subsidies and they get reapplied to energy industries that can benefit more from them.  Oil prices go down most dramatically as a result of less demand, and one way is use less of it, another is to use it more efficiently, and lastly is to have it compete against other forms of energy.  Let demand determine the best allocation of all energy use, but when you don't have options, it's either you go without or you go with the defacto standard.

I just don't understand this love affair with oil.  This singular dependence of a homogeneous energy mix is a far greater national security and economic threat than all the other security theater initiatives against drugs, terrorists, and the other boogeymen out there.  Because our recent dealings with Iraq and Georgia are really about exporting democracy and securing the rights of non-US citizens.