[clue-talk] Wow, Card's a little political...

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sat Nov 1 09:26:02 MDT 2008

On 11-01 08:46, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 08:41:05 -0600
> Sean LeBlanc wrote:
>
> > When I said "disaster capitalism" it has a very specific meaning. I
> > suggest you read _The Shock Doctrine_ if you want to learn more. It's
> > about the Friedmanites and their influence.
>
> Oh, I'm aware of Naomi Klein.
>
> A book like Klein's doesn't seem very compelling or smart, IMHO.

Okay, then. Touche. :)

I'm just not going to bother prioritize reading Goldberg's book, since,
being a former card-carying big-L Libertarian, I've heard similar arguments
before.

And I just don't find them very convincing anymore.

If I'm to be frank, if I have to worry about authoritarianism - I'd say it's
going to come from the right. Sinclair Lewis said, "When fascism comes to
America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

When I look at the McFailin' Nuremberg^H^H^H^H rallies, when I hear this
chilling rhetoric about "real Americans" and "the real America", when I see
the right bashing Obama for wanting to sit down and talk with our enemies,
when I watch a lot of the right's support of Bush in everything he has done,
no matter how ridiculously authoritarian, when I see that crazy woman
Michele Bachmann talking about how AGW is fake because of her beliefs in
god, and when I see her call for an investigation into who is "un-American"
and who isn't, when I watch the right STILL USING THE SOUTHERN STRATEGY,
when I witness the rampant and pervasive anti-intellectualism coming from
the right, and on and on ... I think I have to say it's far more likely to
come from the modern right than from the modern left.

I'm sure everyone here has seen the signifiers of fascism...ask yourself, is
that the right-wing or the left-wing that is pushing for those...right here,
and right now? Set aside the ideology about "free" markets for a moment, and
really look at these, and ask yourself who is going to be bring fascism
here?

http://www.oldamericancentury.org/14pts.htm

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com
Fudd's First Law of Opposition:
	Push something hard enough and it will fall over.