[clue-talk] Wow, Card's a little political...

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sat Nov 1 17:57:45 MDT 2008

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:23:51 -0400
Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> I'm not sure:  are politicians supposed to just do what all the
> constituents want, or are they supposed to do what the people who voted
> for them want?

Well, they swear an oath to protect and defend The Consitution of the
United States. They have no duty to do what their constituents want,
though they have every incentive to do so, if they want to remain in
office.

Of course, I'd prefer that as few of them as possible get re-elected. One
problem with the D.C. politicians is that they're too entrenched. They've
become accustomed to the perques that come with holding office. Addicted
to the power trip as well, I suppose.

If there were some way to guarantee that for the next 6 years, no
incumbent could get elected (actually, anyone who had ever held any
federal elective office), I wouldn't care one bit which party won any
particular seat.