[clue-talk] Obama, McCain, and the American flag

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 01:17:20 MST 2008

It's not a smoke screen and if anyone needs to be honest, it's the authors and supporters of 48.  It is an end-around Roe v Wade and an attempt to trump Federal law and to put the state above the Federal government.  You can't pick and choose when to be sovereign and when not to be when you're part of a republic.  You secede if you're tired of playing by the rules.

Legal personhood is not the same as "human beinghood".  As the author from that web site points out, they are "not the same thing in law or tradition".  Corporations have limited but significant personhood status, which has been a controversial and contentious subject for over a century.  It is the treatment of corporations as a(n artificial) person by which corporations are granted the right to own property and enter into contracts but also be sued and taxed.  Yet the whole concept of corporate personhood implies that corporations are granted constitutional protections, of which historically the First, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendment rights have been upheld in favor of corporations.  This has the implication of enourmous influence that corporations have over government and not necessarily good for the people.  Yet, even though corporations are treated as persons, no one is going to regard them as human beings (in fact there are those that think some
 companies are not just inhuman but inhumane).

Moving on to personhood of a fertilized egg.  Some things that immediately come to mind.  Can parents claim their unborn child as a dependent for a tax deduction?  In the US, all rules require a child being born first before citizenship can be bestowed.  So is a fertilized egg with legal personhood status a non-US citizen and is therefore not entitled to protection under the Constitution?  What is to become of unused fertilized eggs which is a bi-product of invitro fertilization?  Keep them on ice which could be regarded as false imprisonment?  Dispose of them which would somehow make it murder and who would be liable?   The parents?  The doctor?  The clinic?  The actual technician?  Does someone take "custody" or are they orphaned and become "wards" of the state?  Can they be sold?  If so, isn't that human traficking?  Do you force the parents to bring them all to term?  Is the accidental termination of an unknown pregnancy involuntary manslaughter?
 Why stop at a fertilized cell?  Looking forward into the future, scientists will eventually be able to have the ability to design and program life forms as we do computers today.  Then a collection of 46 human chromosomes would be enough to define a human being; biologically that's all you need now.  Besides, assuming 48 passes (not likely) it would be found unconsititutional (perhaps that's the strategy to force RvW in front of SCOTUS), it would only be effective in CO.  You do nothing to reduce the demand for abortions at which point you go back to the dark ages or people seek them outside of Colorado.

I'm not saying all these things would or could even come to pass, but the law of unintended consequences implies that you don't know what's going to happen as a result of a decision.  Some of these things are plausible while others obviously border on the absurd, but given the creativity and zeal of lawyers, if there's something they can litigate they will.  Most of this stuff I didn't even realize until I looked closely at the legal implications.

No one is pro-abortion even among those who are pro-choice, but rather than address the reasons people seek abortions in a sensible and mature manner, you would rather enshrine your religious beliefs into law at the expense of other religions (Jews believe "at first breath") and non-religious citizens.  That makes many of you hypocrits for standing against other theocratic societies.  What's next?  Outlaw divorce?  Ban same-sex couples from marrying? (It's just a matter of time.)  A handbook of authorized sexual acts? (Blue laws are BS)  Talk about giving lip service to freedom and liberty.