[clue-talk] Wow, Card's a little political...

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 03:05:17 MST 2008

> As far as Palin goes... "unqualified" to do what?  I'm still waiting on an answer for that one.  It's a great marketing comment, but what are you afraid she can't do?
> "Uneducated"... I've talked about that one too.  You disdain state colleges in our leaders?  Do they all have to go to Ivy League schools?  Sounds like prejudice of a sort not often seen, but certainly exists out there.
> "Anti-science"... you may have a point there, but you can't stop science... what do you think she'll really stop from happening in scientific circles as Vice-President?
> Theocratic... can you give an example of where she's used her religious beliefs to change government policy?

I expect any Presidential candidate to have a thorough understanding of the US Constitution and the function of the office they're running for.  That also includes the VP candidate because they are responsible for stepping into that chair at a moment's notice.  Palin has proven she doesn't understand either.  Nor do I think she understands her role as governor given how much she has embellished her role and there's her alleged, as well as, documented unethical abuses of her office.

I have no disdain for state colleges.  I even applied to one as a safety school.  By uneducated I mean to concur with what you and everyone else on this mailing list has already concluded: she is not the sharpest tool in the shed to put it mildly.  I don't expect leaders to be Ivy League educated (though seeing a fellow alum doesn't hurt).  She certainly has other qualities one would like to see in a leader---unwavering conviction, charisma, and toughness---but her pandering to the non-intellectual and lashing against elitism is a put off.  Why wouldn't you want your leaders to be intelligent and elite?  You demand those qualities in your athletes, your doctors, your scientists, your business leaders, your armed servicemen, and hopefully your children.  Where you got your diploma isn't necessarily an indication of how smart you are.  Bush went to Yale and Harvard and no one's going to say he's smart.

Can't stop science?  Perhaps not, but considering that the government has been a prime funding source for research that private industries do not consider profitable (yet are quick to usurp once it is), I have my doubts it will be a priority should she ever reach the President's chair.  And it's not like science has gotten much respect from the current administration and she's more like Bush than McCain.

In terms of being theocratic, the only definitive example was her refusal to fund rape kits and forensic exams and instead bill the victims and their insurers.  At best, it's poor judgment when it comes to budget cutting.  You simply don't bill the victim for the state's investigation into the victim's crime, especially when it's only a $14,000 annual expenditure and she goes and builds a multimillion dollar hockey rink on land she didn't secure.  But that's poor fiscal responsibility, not theocratic behavior.  However, a more likely reason is that Palin objects to the funding of emergency contraception which is included in rape kits because to her its tantamount to abortion, and that her stance on abortion stems from her religious beliefs.  Then of course there's the whole book banning fiasco.  Yes, I'm well aware Palin never actually banned any books.  However, she did ask the librarian her opinion regarding the hypothetical situation of someone coming
 to her to request books be removed from the library.  Of course the librarian said she'd refuse any such request.  No, asking that question is not a crime, but it is a leading question and Palin never should have posed it in the first place.  These are certainly minor transgressions, but serial killers start small as well.

Considering your objection to W because he obviously got by on his dad's money and your respect for accomplishment through hard work, I don't understand how you would choose McCain, the man, over Obama, the man, based on those qualifications.  Like Bush, McCain has leveraged the connections and legacies provided by his admiral father and grand father to get into the naval academy and to get assigned to prime naval posts.  He was a mediocre student and a mediocre pilot whose ineptitude caused the loss of life of his fellow crewmates and taxpayer dollars.  Except for his time spent as a POW, McCain has more or less lived a privileged life and made the most of the opportunities handed to him.

Contrast that with Obama whose lineage already put obstacles and pressures neither of us have had to face, and he overcame them.  Through hard work and dedication graduates from Columbia and eventually Harvard Law.  He worked for various community organizations and interned at law firms.  Taught Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago.  Then finally running for office.  A self-made man for sure, one dedicated to public service.  He also has a much cooler temperment and a demonstrated intelligence, the way he's run his campaign has been unwavering even after Palin came out of left field, and he's done what a leader should do, attract and rally more people to his vision than the other guy.  More academics, and more importantly, more economists support Obama than McCain.  He voted against the Iraq war and he's consistently pushed to end our involvement.  McCain doesn't understand, you don't win wars, you only finish them.  Everyone loses once a war
 starts.

If you're truly voting for the man, other than McCain's service to his country, I don't think he stands up to Obama.  However, as you say, McCain isn't going around preaching that he's going to put forth progressive taxes.  I can't fault you for voting for your own self-interest and ideology.  In fact, that should be expected of any voter.