[clue-talk] really good article on the overall economy

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Nov 4 04:12:01 MST 2008

<http://seekingalpha.com/article/103202-the-shallowest-generation>

The most interesting paragraph in the article to me?

"In our heyday during the 1950s, manufacturing accounted for 25% of
GDP. In 1980 it was still 22% of GDP. Today it is 12% of GDP. By 2010
it will be under 10% of GDP. Our Government bureaucracy, which
contributes nothing to the advancement of our society, now is a larger
portion of GDP than manufacturing. Services such as banking, retail
sales, transportation, and health care now account for two-thirds of
the value of U.S. GDP. We have become a nation of bureaucratic paper
pushers. Past U.S. generations invented the airplane; invented the
automobile; discovered penicillin; and built the Interstate highway
system. The Baby Boom generation has invented credit default swaps;
mortgage backed securities; the fast food drive thru window;
discovered the cure for erectile dysfunction; and built bridges to
nowhere. No wonder we’re in so much trouble."

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com