[clue-talk] Obama, McCain, and the American flag

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Nov 4 09:33:31 MST 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2008, at 10:17 PM, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>
>> Just banning abortions though without putting some kind of
>> infrastructure in place that will prevent and "solve" unwanted
>> pregnancies will lead to underground abortions.  Abstinence is good,
>> but not really effective since people are going to still have sex,
>> and guys are definitely going to want it.  Contraception and
>> education about preventing pregnancy, easy access, is absolutey the
>> best realistic way to stop unwanted pregnancies, but a lot of the
>> right-wing thinkers are religious and don't want their kids being
>> given contraception.  And a lot of women have problems with
>> adoption.  I've heard more women say they'd rather have an abortion
>> than give their child up for adoption because they thought it would
>> be "too hard" for them to do.
>
> You know, I try to stay out of the abortion debate, because it's so
> darn personal to everyone.  But I'm tired of people saying abstinence
> doesn't work.

Wow, this could turn into another long discussion... but as per usual, I
don't disagree with you.  I probably have less faith in you that
teaching kids abstinence is workable unless it's a more comprehensive
cultural solution that borders on violating our philosophy of freedom
and would take at least a decade.  We're not just talking about teenage
unwanted pregnancies, but yeah I think if we want to be serious about
using effective methods, we should start teaching it in high school.

But rather than get into the long discussion about the finer details,
I'd like to just say that yeah, I think we don't promote abstinence
enough, or in the right way.

--
Angelo Bertolli
http://angelo.bitfreedom.com/

~ I'm a sig virus. Please add me to your signature and help me spread! ~