[clue-talk] it's over!

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Wed Nov 5 13:46:15 MST 2008

I always take the word "mandate" to be related to "mandatory" and to
mean something along the lines of the voters saying "we elected you to
do XYZ, so you really, really should do that".  The people primarily
elected Obama to fix the economy.  Secondarily, they elected him to get
us out of Iraq, change the tone of Washington, and because he's black
and young.  I think it's pretty silly to think Obama's going to deliver
on all this, but I think it's pretty clear that people want him to.
He'd better at least deliver on the economy.

That's different from Pres. Bush's "political capital".  That line was
total reality-distortion-field blather.  Bush thought he had the right
to spend some of the political capital he thought he'd gained during the
election to push his own agenda.  But, he barely won the election, and
he went right out and spent millions on fancy parties, did away with
habeas corpus, and then took a nice long vacation.  Shameful.

If Obama thinks he has any political capital to spend, he's crazier than
Bush was.  He has a mandate, and he better get cracking.  Get us 100,000
new jobs, bring the DOW over 14,000, bring our troops home without a
massive disaster, and *then* he can party.  Political capital is earned
during the execution of the job, not in the election.

-Dave

P.S.  I'm still chuckling over Carville's mandate comment.  Man-date.
hehe. That guy looks like some sort of crazy alien, but he can really
sling the zingers.