[clue-talk] Linked In CLUE Group?

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Nov 28 16:02:16 MST 2008

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:30:01 -0700
Nate Duehr wrote:

> The difference between LinkedIn and real UCE is that they're using
> personal references from friends of yours

Oh, okay. I consider you a friend. How about I refer you to a number of
"services" I'm sure you'll like.

Irrespective of that, any company operating a networking site ought to be
clueful enough to learn and understand correct netiquette. LinkedIn has
shown themselves to be uncaring about that.

And no, I'm not really operating under any illusions here. I do realize
that the rules of netiquette are slowly (or rapidly) being abandoned, and
not just by pond-scum spammers. The vast majority of net users these days
not only have no clue, but have no clue about that which they have no
clue. I've had real-life encounters with people who, if I mentioned some
simple aspects of netiquette, would just give me a blank stare.

None of which stops me from holding forth on occassion, when I think it's
warranted. ;-)

And if someone wants to create a "People using GNU/Linux" group on some
social networking site, hey, go ahead, if that's what turns your crank.
But don't call it "CLUE", and don't harvest addresses from the mailing
lists and provide them directly to that site.

jed