[clue-talk] Installing stuff generally and Installfest

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 20:05:56 MDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 2:01 PM, rex evans <rexfordevans at yahoo.com> wrote:

Good to hear from you, Rex. You deserve a big pat on the back for
following up and sticking it out to get a running system.

> I just got my Linux internet connection working, for the first
> time, and I will be doing much more internet connection work
> later. (Now using Trendnet TFM 560x, a serial port dial-up modem.)
>

> Presently, I am concerned about apt-get and other utilities that might
> need internet access; my dial-up access being only 50kb. Are there any
> installs that are notorious for causing a domino-effect or huge downloads?

All you need to do is to hook up your gear overnight (let it sip at
the packages  while you sleep).

1. 'apt-get update' to start
2. 'apt-get -d upgrade' let this run overnight to download the packages
3. Later 'apt-get upgrade' using all the stuff you downloaded.

> I would like to get my internal win modem working.
> IIRC it needs gcc.
>
> Now, gcc compiler works, but libraries are missing (stdio
> cannot be found). I found others on the web with this
> problem: requires apt-get and perhaps one other intall-type
> utility.

Did you install 'build-essential'? That's the Debian meta-package that
provides compiler and libraries support that you need to compile
packages.

> BTW, can I send to clue tech mail address, without being a member?
> I read the tech Archive, for now.

As Jed noted, you come to fests/meetings, you are a member, and welcome aboard.

--
Collins Richey