[clue-talk] oil...

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Oct 31 21:12:05 MDT 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>
>> Let's see, if I were an oil company... I'd hold some drilling
>> opportunities "for a rainy day."  The oil companies definitely want
>> to "cash-in" when there's a crisis one day.  I'm not against drilling
>> for more oil here, but I am against just letting companies do
>> whatever they want.  If they want us to open up more land for them,
>> they need to have some obligation to use it for the benefit of the
>> country and not solely to maximize their profits.  If not, I say
>> start a public drilling program.
>
> Change your phrase around and apply it to your business:
>
> "I don't want you to be allowed to maximize profit in your business."
>
> Is even saying such things sane in this country?
>
> I've never understood this anti-oil-company profit sentiment.  They
> pay massive taxes (even if people think they get breaks that are big,
> their taxes still dwarf a lot of industries), and they make their
> money at market prices that are traded on an open market.
>
> In fact, if you want a piece of their profits, you have the right to
> invest in them... many pay decent solid dividends too.  Yes, like all
> American corporations there are fat cats at the top, but there's also
> hundreds of thousands of employees getting paid, shareholders getting
> paid... it's just big business.
>
> Supply and demand...
>
> Try limiting the profit of any software or computer hardware
> companies, telecom, or whatever... and watch them scream.  I don't
> like that Dell grew from a tiny company into a big one!  Limit their
> profits!  Damn them!
>
> It just sounds insane when you look at it that way.  We're either
> Capitalists, or we hand over all oil production to the government and
> take whatever price we get, right?
>
> I guess it's "evil" if it's an oil company wants to sell us something
> we all use, but Automotive companies that make nothing but gas
> guzzling cars are worthy of government bailouts because it would "hurt
> too many Americans" if they go under????
>
> (Just wait, the next multi-billion dollar bailout is coming for Ford
> and General Motors... it's political now.  Obama has promised it to
> the auto-makers, and I'm sure McCain would do it too.)
>
> Yes, I know oil companies try to slow the growth of alternatives --
> but let's get real about that too... if the alternatives were all that
> cost-effective, they'd take off... and are now that consumers and
> companies are "going green"... (as if that means their energy
> consumption changed much).  And EVERY business tries to erect barriers
> to entry.  Think Apple, Dell, or any other tech company doesn't have a
> fleet of patent lawyers?
>
> Limit their profit!  They're evil!  (Ha!)
>
> We'll bail out automotive manufacturers who continued to build cars
> that weren't efficient enough nor had enough quality, compared to
> foreign imports -- and they CONTINUED to do it into an obvious energy
> crisis...

> [...]

It's not about profits, it's about limited resources.  It's obvious that
we have something of great value here.  Why should we just open it up
and hand it off to them without putting some conditions on it?

I think that just about answers this long diatribe about something I
didn't even say... but if you were just trying to make a statement for
everyone else, ok.

Angelo