[clue-talk] Socks with Sandals?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Mon Sep 1 21:11:51 MDT 2008

On 09-01 20:16, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Well hey, as long as we're being controversial ...
>
> Do you think Bill Gates wears sandals with socks?
>
> Well, Linus Torvalds does.
>
>   http://www.sandalandsoxer.co.uk/linus+andrew.jpg

I used to rock that look at work - well, minus the shorts.  Used to drive a
fellow co-worker/friend/roommate up the wall. All the more so when it
started to catch on in the workplace...a few other nerds started doing the
same thing. I wasn't aware I had that much influence, but it was a small
workplace. I was doing it more to annoy the one guy, and as sort of an
anti-fashion statement.

Then I reverted back to Docs. :) The copycats were sort of left wondering
what they should do. Ah, good times.

As far as Bill goes, I think everything about his look is cultivated, every
bit as much as Steve's is. When you're being a ruthless capitalist, all the
better to have a sort of bowl-looking haircut, glasses, and a Mr. Rodgers
sweater on - they'll never see ya comin'. He was also the frontman for
years, so that became the "image" of MS. The "harmless" nerdy guy, not some
80's power-tie-and-suspenders wearing Master of the Universe, and not some
pin-stripe wearing Wall Street guy. When people see Steve, they probably
think Sprockets-arty-guy, and "think different" and all that jazz.

BTW, I've been saying for years what I recently was reading in WSJ about
wearing suits, and that is that people that do it, at least in the tech
world, are doing it from a position of weakness:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB121806871823918831.html

""The suit is a signal that something's going on that I'm nervous about,"
says the 38-year-old Mr. Kaufman. "A suit has become something you wear when
you're asking for money."

There was a time when a CEO in a dark business suit was safely dressed.
That's still true in many fields: Lawyers, financiers and bridegrooms are
largely expected to arrive suited up. But at creative or high-tech
businesses today, a suit can feel as out-of-sync as a pair of denim
overalls. It signals old-fashioned inflexibility when what's called for is
casual authority."

I've been saying it since I left uni, and that's well over a decade now. It
raised eyebrows back then, I can tell you, but it seemed so *obvious* to
me...anyway, there were (are?) still outfits that are extremely button-down
when it comes to their consultants...does a suit convey, even
subconsciously, the sense of power that it once supposedly did? It didn't
and doesn't for me...except in certain situations, but tech is definitely
not one of them.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com
In Denver it is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door
neighbor.