[clue-talk] Nevermind upstart. Stephenson's "Anathem" is out!

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Wed Sep 10 21:18:29 MDT 2008

I'd definitely recommend Card.  As Jed pointed out, Enders Game and the
Alvin Maker series were excellent.  The Worthing Saga was also quite
good, as was Past Watch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus.

Card suffers, IMO, from a malady that afflicts a lot of Sci-Fi writers.
 The 1st 3 or 4 books in a series are great, but it goes downhill from
there.  Alvin Maker definitely stunk at the end, where he started
getting plot tips from online role playing games.  I also dropped the
Enders Game series after the 4th book.

His mormon faith shows in a number of his books, but I never feel him
get too preachy.  I was kind of surprised at the vehemence of the
advocacy stuff he's written, since I never got that from his books.