[clue-talk] Nevermind upstart. Stephenson's "Anathem" is out!

Michael Fierro miguelito at biffster.org
Fri Sep 12 13:33:30 MDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 06:25:43PM -0600, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Oh, faithful readers of one of the finest Sci-Fi authors since Orson
> Scott Card, you who didn't merely just "get through" the Baroque Cycle,
> but relished in it ...

I love Stephenson's works, and loved the Baroque Cycle. But there were
definitely times when I felt like I was just "getting through" it. Neal
really, really needs an editor who is more willing to leave stuff out of what
gets published than he currently has. There were swathes of all three books
of the Cycle that could've been excised. Actually, Cryptonomicon could've
used a heavier editorial hand, too. Neal is brilliant, but concise he is not.

Michael Fierro                                  miguelito at biffster.org
Y! Messenger: miguelito_fierro                           AIM: mfierro1
http://biffster.org                           http://weightjournal.com
--
Sheriff Lucas Buck: You think you're the only woman I have to service tonight?