[clue-talk] Re: Request to mailing list clue-talk rejected

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sat Apr 4 18:51:45 MDT 2009

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 17:46:02 -0600
Nate Duehr wrote:

> So CLUE-*TALK* is now moderated?  Since when?

Hasn't ever been, AFAIK. I just confirmed that it isn't now. We're set up
so that list members can post, and messages from non-list-members go
straight to the bit bucket. Nothing should ever wind up in the moderation
queue. (errrr ... see below)

> What about my posting was inappropriate for the *TALK* list?

Dunno, can't see it. I know, not helpful.

> Not to mention waiting two weeks to bounce the message?

I find that odd, and can only speculate. Might be that Mailman has a
timeout in the moderation queue, after which it auto-bounces the message,
and we don't have a default message configured. But looking around in the
Mailman admin interface, I see nothing that suggests this. A very quick
look around at the Mailman docs doesn't suggest this as a possibility
either.

> What's going on here?

Hmm, this message, from /var/log/mailman/vette is likely the answer:

Mar 13 17:17:41 2009 (7393) clue-talk post from [you, nate] held,
message-id=<00eb01c9a431$e6fec9a0$b4fc5ce0$@com>: Message body is too
big: 45727 bytes with a limit of 40 KB

But I can't speak to why it sat for 2 weeks in the moderation queue. Nor
can I verify, for that matter, that the above message is for the e-mail
you're inquiring about.

I believe the 40K size limit is the default in Mailman, though I can't be
sure.

HTH.
jed