[clue-talk] CLUE LinkedIn group

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Apr 15 18:40:14 MDT 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 18:25:58 -0600
Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:38:42 -0600, "Jed S. Baer"
>
> > The 2nd half of that is patently false. They can view outclicks only
> > if they're specifically using JavaScript or some sort of beacon to
> > capture the data. It doesn't have anything to do with "standards" on
> > the internet. For that matter, it's certainly possible for a web
> > browser to not send referrer information, and I know of at least one
> > case where Galeon does not.
>
> I disagree with you here...
>
> While you might not like their use of them, not too many sites AREN'T
> using JavaScript these days, and yes... beacons and other crapola ARE
> the standard nowadays, really... if you think about it.

Uh, where's the IETF or W3C standard for those? C'mon. You know the
difference between common practice and a standard. They say it's a
communication standard, when it isn't. They're lying. The http spec has a
location in the get/put request for a referrer, and of course the IP
address has to be known. There's no standard that says you have to use
Scripting and DHTML to produce a web page, or deploy beacons.

> > I can see the benefit of social networking. Any sites out there that
> > aren't run by lying spammers?
>
> They're called BBSs and we left them back with our 1200 baud modems in
> 1985.  Real communities, real people.  Oh, there's also LUGs, they're
> pretty nice!  :-) ;-)

Hey, I remember 1200 baud, and dial-up BBS systems. Lots of fun.

> "FREE" is showing its unholy power over people, once again.  (As
> discussed and studied heavily in Behaviorial Economics circles for the
> last ten years.  People do ANYTHING to get the "FREE" thing, even if
> it's got much less intrinsic or extrinsic value than something else
> that's very inexpensive, but not "FREE!".)

Don't tempt me to talk about politics now. :)

> And you're you -- but I think you've got a personal problem with
> click-throughs and all of that stuff.

I generally don't like them. But then I like things to be done as simply
as possible while still maintaining functionality.

> Yawn... all this controversy about boring stuff like tracking website
> use makes me bored.  It is happening, will continue to happen, and
> really doesn't matter much.  Other people see me walk down the street,
> go to the gas station, drive my car, and do a whole bunch of other
> things too

That's only because you don't wear a clever disguise.

jed