[clue-talk] CLUE LinkedIn group

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Apr 16 22:16:38 MDT 2009

David L. Willson wrote:
> I'll join as soon as one of you reports back with a few benefits that this could give to CLUE.  So far, we have debate-able costs, but no intended benefit.
>
> Usually, when I click "join", I have something more than curiosity motivating me.

I find that learning the work background of folks sometimes leads to
interesting work-related contacts on LinkedIn.  Not sure if that's
"enough" for everyone, but it's kinda "what it does"...

Also have reconnected with former co-workers on it that I lost touch
with over the years and found they were doing other really interesting,
or boring things...

Same with Facebook for personal friends.  Learned that one former
co-worker/friend picked up, moved to Australia in his 30's and is
"breaking into" the winery business over there the old-fashioned way, by
earning his keep at small wineries.  It was great to catch up with him
and discuss life, and why he did it, etc.

So... if you're a "social" person, both can make your day more
interesting.  If you're not... it probably gives little back in the way
of "reward".  I dunno.

I guess I never answered the question either:  I'd join.  Whatever.
It's all good.  I never saw the Internet as a place of "anonymity" like
many really want it to be (for whatever good/bad reasons).  I'm just me,
talking to people via the technology, just like I'd talk in person.

Heck, if it leads to interesting folks meeting up for a beer sometime
when I can actually make it... it had enough reward for me!  Nothing
wrong with that!  :-)

Nate