[clue-talk] August meeting topic

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Wed Aug 12 10:03:30 MDT 2009

> Related but not quite from scratch, Tiny Core Linux starts with a minimum
> live Linux.  You can tune it to load only the "packages" you want at boot.
>  From the makers of DSL.  Might be fun to play with it using a
> system-on-a-chip.
>
> http://www.tinycorelinux.com/

I have been playing with Tiny Core.   It is very cool.   However, I don't
think this is anything like LFS.  It is just a minimal system.

The packaging idea is very cool, though.   It is two types of compressed
archives, one that is loaded to RAM, and one that is mounted and symlinked
to.   You then have the option of loading them at boot, or on demand.

It is like a fresh install of the system and applications on every boot,
with a persistent home directory.  All of that in an under 30 second boot.
 Very cool.

My main desktop, I do something somewhat similar.   I use Debian, but
choose NO packages or groups to load during install.   My first boot is
text only, then I apt-get install a big pile of only the stuff I actually
want.   It works very nicely.