[clue-talk] saving money with Linux

Louis Miller miller106c at comcast.net
Wed Dec 9 09:48:55 MST 2009

*Hello,

        I don't think Linux users think about all the ways that using
Linux saves them money over using a legacy OS, or in addition to using a
legacy OS. That is one of the reasons I got started with it. For
convincing friends to give it a try, I think it is good to have some
ideas about that.

        I realize that for most of you, you may not think about this too
much. Linux has become something far removed from just a financial
decision. But, for users of other OSs, this might be compelling.

        The most obvious ways that come to mind are continuing to use a
printer that the manufacturer doesn't support into the next OS. I had
someone give me an HP printer, when they upgraded enthusiastically to
Vista from XP. Ubuntu didn't have any trouble finding a driver for me.
Using OpenOffice, instead of Microsoft Office.

        Maybe, programming suites. It would depend on what the person
uses their computer for. Continuing to use older computers after they
should be obsolete. Keeping legal, while installing multiple copies of
Linux on several hard drives plugged into the same computer or
installing it on several computers.

        Now, that the holidays are coming up, it would be great to
convince people that giving Linux to them would be giving them a gift,
instead of a curse. I think that is how most computer users view Linux.

        For me, saving just $100 would be worth it to buy a used hard
drive and install it and learn some new programs. For many people with
more money than me, they might need an incentive of $500 or $1,000 in
savings in order to give it a try.

Louis
*