[clue-talk] saving money with Linux

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Wed Dec 9 18:34:03 MST 2009

> Grant,
>
>        You said in your introduction, in caps that Linux saves you time
> and money, then the next few paragraphs are all about it saving you
> time. As if everyone knows how Linux saves people money. But, we haven't
> really established how Linux saves the computer user money. How would I
> tell a Windows user, in 500 words or less, how it would save them money?
>
> Louis

Many people have said how it saves money, but at the cost of time.

Saving money is simpler:

I can run older hardware, so I don't have to buy new hardware as often.

My total software bill can easily be $0, including image editing and
office suite.

I don't have to pay Geek Squad to unvirus it foe me.

Upgrades are there forever for free.

Example:   You get a document that you need to read for work.  It uses the
new version of Office, but you have the old version.  $700.   You realize
that the new version of Office won't run on your old OS.   $200.   You
realize that the new OS won't run on your old computer.   $1500.   The
worst part is that you can't take back all of the software you already
bought because you already broke the seal.

Example 2:   You want an image editin program.   You can go to the store
and buy the most expensive one you can afford on WIndows, then hope it
doesn't stink, because you already bought it and spent all of your money
and can't buy another anyway.   Even if you could, uninstalling it will
just mangle the registry anyway, so you are stuck with it.  In Linux, you
go to your package tool, install and remove to your heart's content until
you find one you like for the cost of only bandwidth.