[clue-talk] saving money with Linux

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Thu Dec 10 07:21:14 MST 2009

> Yeah, but two examples.  I recently spent $300 for an HP scanner, which
> I researched on HPLIP and was informed it worked perfectly.  Now, on
> Ubuntu 9.10 (Linux Mint 7), the scanner is completely dead in the
> water.  It works properly in Windows XP ( granted, with the proprietary
> HP software).  Second, one month ago, with Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04, I think)
> gscan2pdf worked as desired.  Now with, again, 9.10 it fails.  I need to
> scan paper to pdf for a commitment I have made to some special people.
> Fortunately, I am dual booting Linux Mint 5, Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, so I can
> figure a work-around.  However, these glitches make me unhappy with
> Ubuntu.  All in not perfect in Linux-land, as much as I like free beer!
>> David L. Willson
>> Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
>> MCT, MCSE, LPIC-1
>> tel://720.333.LANS

Counterpoint:

I have a standard definition tape type camcorder.   It has firewire.
Every time I plug it into a Windows XP machine (have tried 4 different
machines, even different brands), blue screen.   It won't work with
Windows, whether I install the driver or not.

I plug it into Linux, fire up Kino, and capture and shuttle controls work
perfectly.

Lots of people upgraded to Vista just to fond that hardware did not work,
and there was to be no new driver.   Although you lost a scanner on an
upgrade, there is a chance it will be fixed, or you can use another
distribution and make it work.   If your new machine has Vista, and the
hardware maker is not going to make a signed driver, you are just bricked
permanently.