[clue-talk] Moving to IT (from development)

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Fri Dec 11 09:52:42 MST 2009

I got a very decent job with Dex Media a few years back that would fit
you well.  I was the in-between from IT to development.  Basically, when
something broke, it was my job to figure out what and make the
responsible party fix it.  Stuff like:

* It works when running on my single-core desktop, but fails when
running multi-core
* It works when running on my single-server desktop, but fails when
clustered
* It fails consistently when running at night...is there a way we can
recover automatically instead of having a fire drill every morning?
* Connection pool issues
* Convincing developers that source control is a good thing
* etc.

The pay was decent, the work was interesting.  Too many panic attacks
for my taste, but it was my responsibility to manage them and I was able
to reduce the attacks significantly after a few months.  When things
were quiet, I build tools to manage the software release cycle, like
Anthill plugins and Jabber servers.

The title of the job is "Production Engineering Architect"

Dave