[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Mon Feb 2 08:51:03 MST 2009

And that's a fine reason why the current stimulus bill is better than
the TARP bill. With TARP, we gave the money to the people who screwed up
in the first place, and then gave them no accountability. Obama's bill
gives much more money to small businesses and the general contractors
who worked so hard these past couple of decades. It doesn't pay out
until a contract is reached for specific work, and even then the bulk of
the money doesn't get paid until the work is done.

It helps with short-term economic stimulus by giving people jobs. It
helps with long-term economic stimulus because we won't have to pay the
billions of dollars we've paid for that bridge failing, the NYC
electrical grid failing or for Katrina. It helps the credit crises,
since small businesses should be better able to get short-term cash-flow
oriented loans with a government contract backing their request. In
theory, more risky loans should be more available once the loans are
flowing for short-term loans.

-Dave