[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

Jeremy Slade jeremy at jkslade.net
Thu Feb 5 22:33:15 MST 2009

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:40:12 -0700
> Collins Richey wrote:
>
>> Otherwise you may find this bit of satire from Mark Steyn moderately
>> humorous (tragic?).
>
> This site is an interesting place to look at what's in this monstrosity.
>
> http://www.stimuluswatch.org/

>From http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090205/D965ILH00.html
--------------
In an op-ed piece in The Washington Post, the president argued that each
day without his stimulus package, Americans lose more jobs, savings and
homes. His message came as congressional leaders struggle to control the
huge stimulus bill that's been growing larger by the day in the Senate.
The addition of a new tax break for homebuyers Wednesday evening sent
the price tag well past $900 billion.

"This recession might linger for years. Our economy will lose 5 million
more jobs. Unemployment will approach double digits. Our nation will
sink deeper into a crisis that, at some point, we may not be able to
reverse," Obama wrote in the newspaper piece.
--------------

Not wanting a good crisis to go to waste, Obama is relying purely on
fear to push this bill.  He states that things get worst *every day* the
passing of this bill is delayed -- implying that the day it passes,
things will get better.  Does any sane person believe that?

See these charts based on the analysis published by the Congressional
Budget Office: http://readthestimulus.org/cbo_charts.php

According to the CBO, ~20%, or ~$180 billion, will go out this year.  If
 the need is so incredibly urgent, then pass a bill that contains ONLY
the $180B that can be utilized this year.  Get the wheels turning with
that, and wait at least 6 months before talking of any more 'stimulus'.

Jeremy