[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 23:31:06 MST 2009

I'm more than willing to put in my fair share as a citizen of this state who uses highways (including I-70), as well as a citizen of this country who benefits from the interstate commerce that passes along the route.  However, I don't plan on footing the entire bill myself, unless the state is willing to cede ownership.  If such an expansion happens, I expect state and federal taxes to be used, perhaps supplemented by private contributions, which is how most major infrastructure projects get done.  Another option would be to charge a toll (a use tax) which has been proposed to help raise the necessary capital.  Make those who use it the most take the brunt of the cost.  But tolls have a habit of lingering long after their original intent, and tolls tend to ratchet upwards.  E-470 just went up $0.25, which I believe is to pay for the video toll system they're putting in place which will cost less to run than the manned booths.  What I don't understand is
 if the system saves money, why do the drivers have to pay more?