[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Feb 6 05:01:26 MST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 12:04 AM, Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> I've already resigned myself to accept that the only real way out of
> this problem is to inflate our way out.  It's the most even way to
> distribute the burden anyway.  I've already got my access card from
> treasurydirect.gov and am saving the money I need to buy those
> inflation protected securities.  (I expect few things to
> significantly outpace inflation in the coming years.)

You're assuming those who were fiscally responsible won't want to go
kick some butts of those who took out loans they KNEW they couldn't
afford if their payments jumped to the maximum limits their variable
rates allowed, someday?

There's still an atoning for that if we delay it now and "spread the
pain around"... like hopefully a return of the socially acceptable
ability for someone to actually ASK about someone else's finances and
pressure in society not to spend on things one can't afford?

Nah.. I guess that'll never catch on..

> Yeah, I think some people lose sight of what's really important
> amidst their political rhetoric, ideology, and nostalgia.  All of
> those things are luxuries.  But I'm starting to think they're
> stunting the mental capabilities of Americans.

Me too.  The average person doesn't know how to balance a checkbook,
let alone ask tough questions about a loan that will indebt them for
the rest of their lives...

> As they say, the proof is in the pudding.  I think if Obama does
> well, most people will come around.  Sure there will always be a
> market (and a profitable one too!) for a certain subsection of the
> population to demonize the opposing team.

Define "does well".  Which specific Constitutional power will he
execute to "do well" again?  He's already doing pretty well, judging
by the party and guest list at the White House.

Oh... you meant if he throws you a few crumbs while living high on the
hog on 40% of your pay?  LOL!  Of course he will... just enough to
keep you from rioting, but scared enough to keep voting for his
Party.  Politics 101.

Nate